Bake meatballs instead of frying them. 350°, 35-45 minutes.
To eliminate turning fish sticks while baking, place them on a piece of crinkled aluminum foil so they brown on both sides without turning.
When you accidentally oversalt a gravy or sauce, you can add a couple teaspoons of sugar to counteract the saltiness.
Always add fruit pieces to the dry ingredients first so they are coated with flour. This prevents them from sinking to the bottom of the dough.
Heat frozen french fries according to the label directions. Sprinkle with curry or chili powder and serve with a cheese or sour cream dip.
A warm lemon will give more juice than a cold one.
When alternating flour and milk in a cake recipe, always make your last addition flour. It will be a smoother batter.
For sweetened condensed milk, mix 2 c. instant powdered milk granules, 1 cup granulated sugar, then add 1/2 cup hot (not boiling) water. Stir until thoroughly mixed and sugar dissolves. This makes the equivalent of a can of sweetened condensed milk.
For fluffier, great-tasting rice, add a teaspoon of white vinegar to the boiling water. Your rice will be easier to spoon and less sticky.
1 teaspoon cream of tartar and 1/2 teaspoon of soda are equivalent to 1 teaspoon baking powder.
Before party guests arrive, scoop ice cream into muffin tins lined with cupcake liners and refreeze. You won't have to fuss later when serving cake.
Helen Enders 1-14-99
To keep wax paper from sliding around on your counter or table, dampen the back side & it stays put!
BJ Enders 1-13-99
To aid you in rolling out cookie dough to an even height, place two dowel rods on either side of the dough, just at the edge of the rolling pin. Roll back and forth on the dowel rods. You can have a set of 1/8inch, 1/4inch, 3/8 and 1/2 inch dowel rods for versatility.
Carolyn Balkum 1-6-99
INTERESTING "BOUNCE" USES:
(Lots of uses for the sheet used in drying laundry):|
1. It takes the odor out of books and photo abums that don't get opened
2. Repel mosquitoes. Tie a sheet of Bounce through a belt loop when
outdoors during mosquito season.
3. Eliminate static electricity from your television screen. Since
Bounce is designed to help eliminate static cling, wipe your television
screen with a used sheet of Bounce to keep dust from resettling.
4. Dissolve soap scum from shower doors. Clean with a used sheet of
5. Freshen the air in your home. Place an individual sheet of Bounce in
a drawer or hang one in the closet.
6. Prevent thread from tangling. Run a threaded needle through a sheet
of Bounce before beginning to sew.
7. Prevent musty suitcases. Place an individual sheet of Bounce inside
empty luggage before storing.
8. Freshen the air in your car. Place a sheet of Bounce under the front
9. Clean baked-on food from a cooking pan. Put a sheet in the pan, fill
with water, let sit overnight, and sponge clean. The antistatic
agents apparently weaken the bond between the food and the pan while the fabric
softening agents soften the baked-on food.
10. Eliminate odors in wastebaskets. Place a sheet of Bounce at the
bottom of the wastebasket.
11. Collect cat hair. Rubbing the area with a sheet of Bounce will
magnetically attract all the loose hairs.
12. Eliminate static electricity from venetian blinds. Wipe the blinds
with a sheet of Bounce to prevent dust from resettling.
13. Wipe up sawdust from drilling or sandpapering. A used sheet of Bounce
will collect sawdust like a tack cloth.
14. Eliminate odors in dirty laundry. Place an individual sheet of Bounce
at the bottom of a laundry bag or hamper.
15.Deodorize shoes or sneakers. Place a sheet of Bounce in your shoes or
sneakers overnight so they'll smell better in the morning.
submitted by Lori Balkum
Stuff a miniature marshmallow in the bottom of a sugar cone to prevent ice cream drips!
Use a meat baster to "squeeze" your pancake batter onto the hot griddle--perfect shaped pancakes every time!
Run your hands under cold water before pressing Rice Krispie treats in the pan. The marshmallow won't stick to your fingers.
Wrap celery in aluminum foil when putting it in the refrigerator.It will keep for weeks.
Substitute half applesauce for the vegetable oil in your baking recipes. You'll greatly reduce the fat content. (Example: 1/2 cup vegetable oil 3 1/4 cup applesauce + 1/4 cup oil).
Brush beaten egg white over pie crust before baking to yield a beautiful, glossy finish.
Don't throw out all that leftover wine: Freeze into ice cubes for future use in casseroles and sauces.
submitted by Becky Enders